By Brad Thomason
How do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time.
It’s an old joke. It’s not even particularly funny.
But it makes a worthwhile point.
If you have a big job to do, taking it as a series of small jobs is a very practical way to proceed.
I spend a lot of space in this forum making the point to you that the job of planning for and then managing your retirement income, is a big one. In so doing, I’m trying to set off a chain of logic in your mind that goes something like this:
1. This sounds like a big job.
2. So I better get started early.
3. And I better pace myself, because there’s going to be some persistence required.
4. As I proceed, I need to not get discouraged by the fact that I’m not finished.
5. I didn’t expect to be finished quickly in the first place, so the fact that I’m still at it is not something I need to worry about.
Good luck, stay with it, and don’t forget the hot sauce. Or the napkins. Happy Thanksgiving.
Older blogs (2015-2017)